P.O. Box 181
Northfield, Minnesota 55057
Dennis P. Wilcox
Training and Technical Communications Professional
Workplace/Transportation Safety Training and Technical Communications Professional skilled in OSHA outreach and transportation safety workshop instruction, curriculum and training program development, technical writing,and media-based safety program development and production.
Professional Skills Assist Clients in hazard recognition and risk awareness in the workplace and on roadways and helping boost productivity in client workforces through increased safety awareness and an introduction to OSHA standards. Professional Services include onsite training workshops, including teaching OSHA 10 and 30 safety and health outreach programs in general industry and construction; professional video and eLearning program production; curriculum and training program development; grant writing; the preparation of technical manuals and publications, and; copywriting and editing.
Safety Training Credentials: OSHA Authorized General Industry Trainer; OSHA Authorized Construction Trainer.
Recent Personal Safety Training Achievements: OSHA 503 (OSHA Authorized Construction Safety and Health Trainer); OSHA 502 (Authorized General Industry Safety and Health Trainer); MNDOT Flagger "Train the Trainer" training and American Traffic Safety Services Association (ATSSA) Registered Flagger training; 24-Hour HazMat Technician Certificate; 8-Hour HAZWOPER Refreshers; 24-Hour Process Safety Management Certificate; HazCom 2012/Global Harmonization System Training Certificate from MNOSHA; Chainsaw/Circular Saw Training, and; Developing and Teaching the Minnesota Pilot/Escort Driver Certification Training Course.
B.A., University of Missouri, Biology. Minors: Chemistry, History, German. Honors English Composition.
July 2011 to present: Adjunct Instructor, Hennepin Technical College (HTC), Eden Prairie, MN:
1. Teaching workplace and transportation safety, including OSHA safety and health outreach courses to businesses, organizations, and government agencies
as part of HTC's Customized Training Services.
2. Lead Instructor/Course Developer: Minnesota Pilot/Escort Driver Certification course: Developed and presented for the Minnesota State Patrol to certify pilot/escort drivers who escort oversize truck loads in the state of Minnesota. This course consists of one eight-hour course for civilian drivers. Under development by Wilcox also is the online refresher course which must be taken four years after the initial eight-hour course.
3.Curriculum Developer: Instruction on what truck operators should expect when stopped for Level 1 roadway inspections in Minnesota by the Minnesota State Patrol. This is aimed specifically at the construction truck industry and is taught as part of HTC CTS's very successful Construction Truck Operator Training (CTOT) program. Trucks currently covered in the program's courses include tractor trailers, dump trucks, straight trucks, and Big Trucks/Small Trucks. The courses were developed working with the two retired Minnesota state patrol officers from the patrol's commercial vehicle division They were the subject matter experts and teach the courses. Wilcox produced several video segments, including role playing examples, for use in these courses.
4. Grant writing.
January 2011 to March 2011: Doherty Staffing/SPX Corporation, Owatonna, MN: Contract technical documentation and writing services for SPX Corp. as assigned through Doherty. Observed and documented electrical testing procedures for SPX's electronic products; wrote new testing procedure documents, and; updated text and visuals for existing written procedures. All work required considerable staff interaction with product testers under strict deadlines.
November 1981 to December 2010: Wilcox Communications, Inc., Northfield, MN (now dba Dennis Wilcox, January 2011 to present): Contract workplace/food manufacturing safety trainer, technical writer, and multimedia professional servicing several Minnesota and other Midwest companies and nonprofit organizations. Professional services include: working with technical and executive staff to create program concepts and develop training curricula or marketing concepts; writing eLearning and video scripts; producing video and eLearning programs (providing full-service production), and; managing writing projects and multimedia productions. Writing work included writing and editing copy for large-scale technical training, marketing, and internal corporate communications projects. (Note: These services continue on a sole proprietor business basis.)
Here are some contract project examples from Wilcox Communications, Inc. and now dba Dennis Wilcox:
and organized information then developed, wrote content for, and produced from creation to completion 200-plus professional quality safety
training programs and videos designed to provide consistent messages on workplace safety
procedures. Objective: improve the safety of industrial and construction workplace
environments for companies operating regionally and nationwide (includes
in MN: Post Consumer Brands [formerly, Malt-O-Meal Co.], Lakeville, MN, Cardinal Glass Industries, and
* Researched and organized information then developed and wrote content for scripts and workbooks for media-based training programs on the principles and practices of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) during food manufacturing. Objective: educate staff and contractors about food hygiene, food safety, and FDA guidelines when working in food manufacturing environments (Post Consumer Brands [formerly, Malt-O-Meal Co.], Lakeville, MN).
* Produced 21 employee-orientation eLearning programs to increase effectiveness of and reduce costs of employee training for non-profit organization serving the developmentally disabled community. Tasks included using Adobe Captivate to produce eLearning programs, developing and writing the training program scripts, and advising on the selection and use of LMSs and their interaction with the completed courseware (Laura Baker Services Association, Northfield, MN).
* Created and produced video-based training and marketing programs that aided in the outreach and success of a Minnesota medical device manufacturer. Services included editorial assistance in script preparation for these programs (Electromed, New Prague, MN).
* Provided technical writing and video production services to an automotive trade association for the purposes of training auto collision repair technicians, documenting and marketing its programs and services, and advocating for workplace safety in collision repair facilities (I-CAR, Chicago, IL).
* Wrote and edited feature articles on collision repair industry topics for an automobile mechanic trade magazine. Several articles focused on the dangers of working with hazardous substances and the Hazard Communication Standard as it applies to collision repair facilities (Motor Service, Des Plaines, IL).
* Wrote owners's manuals for users of water desalinization products on seagoing pleasure boats (PUR Water Systems, St. Louis Park, MN).
* Wrote installation and service manuals to guide technicians in setting up and servicing ATM machines (Wells Fargo, Minneapolis, MN).
* OSHA outreach safety instruction
* Technical writing/editing
* Multimedia production (producer, director, script writer, videographer, video editor)
* eLearning development and production
management and coordination
* Training and marketing program development and production
* Staff and team leadership
* Business management
* Budget estimating and management
Instructor, Hennepin Technical College (HTC), teaching workplace and transportation safety and
OSHA 10 and 30 outreach safety and health courses in general industry and construction to businesses, organizations, and governmental units
as part of HTC's customized training services; developing curricula, and; writing
* Training and Technical Communications Consultant: Wilcox Communications, Inc. and now dba Dennis Wilcox.
* Catholic Television Network/Chicago, Chicago, IL: Sr. Producer/Writer, 39 Weekly Broadcast Television Shows.
* American Broadcasting Co., Chicago, IL: Writer/Producer, Daily and Investigative News (for O & O WLS-TV).
* KTVI News, St. Louis, MO: Writer/Producer, Daily and Investigative News
* St. Louis Community Newspapers, St. Louis, MO: Writer/Reporter for News and Features.
Volunteer/Community Service Work
Board member, three non-profit organizations, 1992-2006; board chair for an environmental learning center, the Prairie Ecology Bus Center, Lakefield, MN, 2002-2006.